Memory testing and end of flames (was Re: [Gllug] Reiserfs gotchas?)

Dave Jones davej at suse.de
Thu May 9 14:58:12 UTC 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 03:46:16PM +0100, Simon Stewart wrote:

 > ObLinux: Anyone out there played with memtest? How reliable is it?

Very. The only downside is that it takes an age to do a complete pass
if you've got lots of RAM. I've used it countless times and found
bad SIMMS/DIMMS, which after replacing have cured random hangs and the
likes.

 > whatever happened to the "bad memory" patches from 2.2 that could be
 > used to pre-allocate bad memory on boot up, thus removing it from the
 > memory pool and making your machine stable even with dodgy memory?

http://webrum.uni-mannheim.de/math/schmoigl/linux/
A little out of date, but up to 2.4 at least..

    Dave.

--

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk