[Gllug] laptops (was Sony Vaio)

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Fri May 3 19:44:02 UTC 2002

Sean Burlington <sean at uncertainty.org.uk>
wrote on Fri, 3 May 2002 15:18:50 +0100
SB>Subject: Re: [Gllug] laptops (was Sony Vaio)
SB>has anyone tried http://www.dnuk.com/store/notebooks.php ?
SB>at prices from 705 (+ VAT) - and no M$ tax it looks very apealing to me
SB>I've bought desktops from them and been very happy ...

Yes I've got a couple of laptops from dnuk. The most recent one is a very
nice one that has Mandrake 8.2 and kernel 2.4.18 installed. Curiously enough
the sound is not working on it which kind of fits in with what Jake Jellinek
has recently written. The previous one is a couple of years old. Both are
very much desktop replacement type notebooks. The sound works on the older
one which has RedHat 7.1 installed - previously had RedHat 6.1. Mine are both
dual boot with MicroS**t. operating systems.
Re:-
> They look good, my only criticism is that they don't do any AMD stuff.
>
> Tim
Regarding dnuk not doing AMD. They do, because this computer I am typing on
was purchased from dnuk and has a 1GB Athlon processor. My only criticism of
this computer is not how hot it runs (although central heating is not
required in this room when it is running), but the noisy sound of the fan.
This drives me up the wall sometimes  - even though my hearing is pretty poor.
This is one reason I'll probably be less keen on getting a blazingly fast
processor (which I probably don't need) next time I buy a computer. For a
real treat I wonder if anyone has one of these Sony Viao's:-

 http://www.emperorlinux.com/kiwi.html

--built in camera/webcam/video?
I've seen one working under Windows, but never under Linux.

--
Regards from Mark Preston

www.markpreston.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk