[Gllug] More CVS wor

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Fri May 3 16:16:11 UTC 2002

On Friday 03 May 2002 4:21 pm, Simon Stewart wrote:
> This is slightly OT, so just shout at me if you think I'm stepping too
> far OT.
>
> I sincerely hope that some of you code gurus out there can help
> out. I'm still getting grips with CVS, and it's being an entertaining
> experience. I've now run into a problem, and I'd like your advice on
> getting out of this hole:
>
> $ cvs ci EJBUserImpl.java
> cvs commit: use `cvs add' to create an entry for EJBUserImpl.java
> cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!
> $ cvs add EJBUserImpl.java
> cvs server: EJBUserImpl.java added independently by second party
> $ cvs ci EJBUserImpl.java
> cvs commit: use `cvs add' to create an entry for EJBUserImpl.java
> cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!
>
> The message is right. I added the file when working with the archive
> on another machine. I then tarballed my source tree, moved it home,
> edited it, brought it back to work and unpacked the new archive
> containing the edited file.

not sure about cvs ci

do you mean to submit your changes - try cvs commit instead

> The question is: how do I get to the stage where I can just add my
> freshly edited files to the CVS repository? Google mentions getting
> hold of tagged files, creating a new branch and merging the new files
> back in that way. This is fine, but I'm not sure that I've created any
> tags (certainly none explicitly) so what to do?

if you are working with other people you may want to stop them from checking
out your (maybe broken) development code - you can do this by creating and
working on a branch - merging the branch into the main trunk when it is
stable.

the manula on cvshome.org has a good section on how to do this
(it is fairly straightforward)

> On a related note, I frequently work on a bunch of new code at home,
> adding a handful of files and editing various other ones. By the time
> I get the archive back to work, I can't remember which ones I've
> edited. Short of doing a "find", can CVS be made to do the leg work
> for me?[1]

cvs diff
you don't have to diff the whole module - you can diff subdirs just as easily.

use this frequently - if you have forgotten to add a file cvs diff will flag
this file as unknown and you will see that it is not going to get commited.

man cvs is pretty good

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk