[Gllug] Online banking

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Thu May 16 15:21:44 UTC 2002

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Simon Stewart wrote:

> I can't make it to a bank very easily, so I want online banking. I use
> Galeon, and my current bank (NatWest) successfully refuse to be able
> to cope with it (I get fobbed off with some cack about problems with
> Java 2[1])

> I'm going to move banks to someone that provides decent support for
> alternative OS/browser users (and has some more respect for their
> customers) Your suggestions and experiences are being solicited, cos I
> guess most of you have tried online banking with your money
> storage/overdraft provider using $browser_thats_not_ie

I use lloydstsb their ebank online banking works perfectly with every
browser I've tried.. generally I haven't had any problems with it [1]. It
uses pretty simple html and I was able to write a perl script to download
my account statements and stuff them into a postgresql db. I also have
accounts with HSBC and although they originally didn't work with
mozilla/galeon they do now so I guess I'd give them a recommendation as
well.

[1] Asside from that one instance when they accidently transferred their
online banking domain (online.lloydstsb.co.uk) to ns1.lloyds.co.uk /
ns2.lloyds.co.uk an unaffiliated outside computer company with nothing
whatsoever to do with lloydstsb.

-Robert.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk