[Gllug] Exim and virtual domains

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri May 17 01:49:26 UTC 2002

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 01:30:59AM +0100, Jim wrote:
> Can I stick my oar in here and recommend Postfix.

Not without a question mark, no.

Since you bring it up, I'll happily say that Postfix is easier to
configure, has a more secure design and in most situations performs
better under very high load.   OTOH it is much, much less flexible.  It
does have a modular design but unless you can code your own queue
manager, for example, that doesn't help much.

If your needs aren't that complex, this doesn't matter but I frequenty
found myself having to work around it's limitations in clunky ways.
I had not very complex requirements which would, if I had continued to
use Postfix, have required me either to run multiple smtp daemons with
different config files and listening on different ports or to use more
than one box.

To fully appreciate how flexible Exim is you have to realise that not
only do you define the structure of your mail system in the config file
but you can make use of a string expansion language, complete with
boolean logic, simple functions and the option to extend it with
an embedded Perl interpreter.  This means that the content of the config
file itself can vary dramatically depending on the context in which the
exim binary is run.

There's nothing Postfix can do that Exim can't.  Exim can also do plenty
that Postfix can't.  If you have a simple set-up and a high throughput,
Postfix is a good choice.  If you want to do something a little
different, try Exim.  The fact that it can be run out of inetd also
makes it suitable for home use.

--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.