[Gllug] OT: CAT ScTP cable.

Jim Cheetham jim.gllug at gonzul.net
Wed May 1 15:06:53 UTC 2002

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 03:44:02PM +0100, Formi wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>  On sunday I went to Barking where I met Daniel Andersson,
>  nice friendly bloke from Sweden.
>  And he kindly provided me with quite a few meters of cable.
>
>  I am a bit concerned about the type, ScTP, below is the complete
>  information written on the wire itself.

Errm, ScTP isn't UTP ... but I'm not sure that you will have a problem.
See http://www.atcomservices.com/highlights/cat5notes.htm
Basically, you don't actually need to maintain a certificated network,
you just need something that works, and I'm pretty sure that theScTP
cable will be adequate for you.

>  I was planning to run it straight between the 8 port hub and
>  the nics, to avoid drilling the walls, and to save money.

Sounds reasonable - and in fact the extra shielding that you now have
will probably be better in your environment.

>  Now I "only" need to attach the RJ45 connectors and test them.

Get an example of the pin connections from somewhere (disassemble a
working cable, or go to the web). Decide on a colour combination that is
actually in the cables you have, WRITE IT DOWN and NEVER VARY the
pattern, after you get one working. Always be very careful to remember
which way up you are counting (i.e. you define pin 1 as the left-most
pin when the RJ45 spring-clip is facing down ... or anything that woprks
for you). The secret is repeatability repeatability repeatability rather
than conforming to someone else's system :-)

>  P.D.: John, do you know what's the reason why stranded and solid cables
>  don't work together?

Luckily, I'm not John, so I get to say that I think they do work
together :-) in practice. But the warning is probably related to strict
certification standards, which are essential if you're paying someone to
do the cable work for you :-)

-jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk