[Gllug] OT: CAT ScTP cable.

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed May 1 18:50:59 UTC 2002

On Wed 01 May, Formi wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>  On sunday I went to Barking where I met Daniel Andersson,
>  nice friendly bloke from Sweden.
>  And he kindly provided me with quite a few meters of cable.
>
>  I am a bit concerned about the type, ScTP, below is the complete
>  information written on the wire itself.
>
>  BLACK BOX CORPORATION GUARANTEED FOR LIFE
>
>  (724) 746 -5500 YM44230 ScTP CMR 4PR24 VERIFIED (UL) CATEGORY 5
>
>  E108998-M OR C(UL) CMR 1408 2708 S52 0565468 FEET
>
>  It is quite rigid and it has a metalish lining.
>
>  I was planning to run it straight between the 8 port hub and
>  the nics, to avoid drilling the walls, and to save money.
>
>  Now I "only" need to attach the RJ45 connectors and test them.
>  And probably find a God to pray to.
>

>  Is there anything I should know about?
>
>  P.D.: John, do you know what's the reason why stranded and solid cables
>  don't work together?

   Normal solid conductor CAT5 is flexible enough to be threaded through
trunking, and is normally pushed into Krone - style insulation piercing
terminals, similar to the ones that BT use. The conductors can break if it
is flexed repeatedly, and most of the RJ45 plugs are not designed to be
fitted to the solid conductors, so there could be contact problems.
   The more expensive stranded conductor CAT5 is designed for patch cords
which will be flexed and moved more often, and the contacts in the standard
RJ45 plugs are designed to push into each bundle of strands and make
multiple contacts.
   Screened CAT5 twisted pair is very expensive special quality cable, used
where there are extra problems with electrical interference. It is available
in both solid and flexible varieties, and there are special screened plugs
and sockets to go with them.
   Other options are coloured outer, strain relief boots, and a special
halogen-free insulation to meet unusual fire regulations.
   Fitting the RJ45 plugs is very fiddly, and needs good sharp tools. I use
a knife, wire cutters, a magnifying glass to check that the strands have
reached the end of the plug, and an expensive crimping tool.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk