[Gllug] Gllug changig

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu May 16 09:03:47 UTC 2002

 I liked the flame wars, sometimes you would learn something.
 I am not endorsing name calling.

 People say that the list is a community, and the off topic mails help
 to keep that, so killing some threads early because they are off topic
 doesn't do much to achieve that feeling.

 When we get together at the Gllug and Lonix meetings we talk about
 many things that are not estrictly OS related, and that is what makes
 the group a lovely place.

 I would encourage a bit more of that, as long as it doesn't get out of
 hand.

 One thing I strongly feel about is the comments made by some people about
 blocking or discarding mails from an individual without reading, most of
 us talk bollocks from time to time. That's true(1), but every now and
 then we all contribute something of everybody's interest.

 I personally have the habit of making a fool of myself, I don't care
 because I have been corrected and taught, and gained something useful
 from the people who bothered to show me the right way.

 I know very well that a lot of times if you say something mostly wrong,
 or unsuitable you have a better chance of getting good useful replies.

 There is something I really like, the "cheeky" and/or "extra unrelated
 info/remarks some people add to their emails. For example, Vince, Bruce,
 Jim, Colin, Richard Cohen, and of course mighty John Hearns and few other
 more.

 I know some people feel a bit unsecure about asking questions or
 providing answers when they are not completely sure about what
 they are talking, at the end of the day you can always learn something,
 and that is one the main points why we are in.

 After all this sanity for my side, my brain is melting down, and I have
 just spend an hour cleaning the laptop, because I spilled some coco juice
 on the keyboard.

                                                Formi.

 (1) In my case almost never untrue.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk