[Gllug] Exim and virtual domains

Martyn Drake martyn-d at moving-picture.com
Thu May 16 09:20:09 UTC 2002

On Thu, 16 May 2002 09:55:31 +0100 Paul Brazier wrote:

> Can someone give me some pointers to setting up "virtual domains" in
> Exim? Is this what exim calls "directors"? The documentation looks >
> very comprehensive but assumes you know all the jargon etc.

This is very easy.  Firstly, you're quite right about the directors.
I've created the following director in my own set-up:-

virtusertable:
	driver = aliasfile
	file = /etc/mail/eximtable
	search_type = lsearch*@
	include_domain

As you will notice, it is virtually identical to the system_aliases
director which makes use of /etc/aliases, but with one major exception.
The line, search_type = lsearch*@, allows for things like
catchall/wildcard addresses along the lines of:

*@domain.com:	mypop3

for local accounts

or

*@domain2.com:	wibble at hotwibbler.com

for remote accounts.  For course, you can also do simple things such as:

wibble at domain2.com:	wibble at hotwibbler.com

or

wibble2 at domain2.com:	mypop3

I've called the director virtusertable purely as I was used to
Sendmail's virtusertable file.  I prefer to keep my aliases file
seperate.

> The box has the domain "mydomain.com" say but I also have DNS A, MX,
> etc records set up for "foo.com" and "bar.com" to point to the same IP
> address. For starters it would be nice just to bounce mail for
> fred at bar.com to another email say fred at fredsisp.net. Then maybe also
> have local spools so people can pick up email by pop3.
> I have this kind of setup with postfix on another box and although
> it's slightly tricky to set up it does work.

Using the above example, you'll just need to ensure that you either
alter the system_aliases to make use of lsearch*@ or set-up your own
director and file and then add the following line to the file:

fred at bar.com:		fred at fredsisp.net,mypop3

> I've looked into /etc/aliases but I'm not sure if this is just for
> local users - I tried adding an outside email to this but I think it
> thought I was trying to use it as a relay and gave me an error.

By default, it is, but you can alter the search_type line to read:

	search_type = lsearch*@

which provides the greatest flexibility.

> Can Exim even do this (I'm sure I've seen this topic before but
> couldn't see it in the archives) or do I need something more
> heavyweight like Courier?

I love Exim because it is just so much more easier to understand than
Sendmail.  I will never go back to using Sendmail unless forced at
gunpoint ;)

> Are there any simple introductions to Exim either online or in print?
> Is the O'Reilly Exim book any good?

I highly recommend the O'Reilly Exim book.  Speaking of which - has a
new edition been released yet with Exim 4 support?

Regards,

	Martyn

Martyn Drake                 | Email :    martyn-d at moving-picture.com
Systems Administrator        | Web   :  http://www.moving-picture.com
The Moving Picture Company   | Phone :            +44 (0)20 7494 7853

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk