[Gllug] KDE and Debian

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu May 23 22:34:18 UTC 2002

On Fri 24 May, Xander D Harkness made the following spurious claims:

> I have read through much of the Debian site and it does not really jump
> out at you for the upgrade paths and KDE took an hour of searching just
> to get a mirror that would respond at 2k

Debian's documentation is, essentially, ask someone who already
knows.  It's far from ideal.  There are a stack of things that are
best done the Debian Way <tm> but you have to find out about them to
even know they exist.

Have a poke around with the following:
* kernel-package (/usr/doc/kernel-package/README.gz) for managing your
  kernel builds within the packaging system.
* menu (man update-menus)
* modutils (man modutils)

The Debian Way <tm> of doing any particular task is often different
but as soon as you learn it you wonder how you did it before.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

As long as I am mayor of this city [Jersey City, New Jersey]
the great industries are secure. We hear about constitutional
rights, free speech and the free press. Every time I hear
these words I say to myself, That man is a Red, that man is
a Communist. You never hear a real American talk like that.
- Frank "I am the law" Hague (1896-1956)