[Gllug] Net access everywhere

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Thu May 30 11:50:22 UTC 2002

On Thu, 30 May 2002, John HEARNS wrote:

> (Ooops - I see Richard has rpelied now too.
> I will let my answer stand - and let Richard correct me)

Thanks, John :-)

> On Thu, 30 May 2002 tet at accucard.com wrote:
>

> > Does anyone have any experience of portable net access? What I'm
> > thinking of is a palmtop type device with some kind of GPRS connectivity.
> > The basic premise being an ability to do support should I get called
> > while I'm not at home with access to my DSL line. All I need is a semi
> > usable keybaord, and an ssh client.
> I would really suggest getting a small sub-notebook sized laptop instead.
> e.g. a Libretto or something that size.
> Either use it with a data cable to your mobile phone,
> or an IR link. Do you really need GPRS?
> A normal mobile-phone modem should be fast enough?
> I had my Siemens S35 linked up via IR this way.
>

> Richard Cohen will of course kill me, as I'm an iPaq enthusiast also.

Die, scum! :-)

> On the iPAQ I have a wireless LAN card running, as do many other
> people. But that would depend on a big Consume roll-out :-)
> Richard can tell you about a compact flash form-factor modem I think.

I have a CF modem. <SHRUG>  They're easy enough to get hold of, but it needs
a phone line - which doesn't satisfy the original requirements, as I read
them...

> Also, you can get an iPAQ working under Linux with the IR link
> to a mobile. But that involves holding the phone to the top
> of the iPAQ - which is not ideal.

Ssh - don't tell anyone.  I bought a 3870 at the weekend down TCR.
Bluetooth, baby! :-)

Not that I have a Bluetooth-compatible phone.  Yet.

> ssh works fine under Linux on iPAQ though.

Indeed.

> AFAIK, there are GPRS jackets available for iPAQ,
> but these run under Windows CE only - no Linux support.

I don't know about GRPS, but I got the impression that the GSM sleeves work.
I don't know where I saw that - I can't find it on the handhelds.org Wiki :-(

If it isn't supported, I think it should be relatively easy.  The last
comment I've found is from Andrew Christian (one of the Compaq engineers
working on iPAQ Linux) saying there are plans to support it...

> > Have those of you with an iPAQ or Zaurus been able to do anything like
> > this? Are there any pros and cons to partiuclar hardware? Any pitfalls
> > I should be looking out for?
> Yes, as I say none of the phone jackets are supported under Linux on iPAQ.
> I could be wrong here.
> I hate to say this, but if you go the iPAQ route consider retaining the
> WinCE for this task.

Bad John, bad! :-)

> Also VPN software is there under WinCE on iPAQ - very unsure of the state
> of play under Linux.

I go in through a gateway at home - I actually have the VPN stuff on a
Solaris box, which works better than Linux for some strange reason :-)

People seem to be playing with IPSec on the iPAQ at least...

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk