[Gllug] Fireing up an external SCSI device once the system has started.

Colin Murphy SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu May 23 10:26:04 UTC 2002

On Thursday 23 May 2002 10:30 am, tet at accucard.com wrote:
> >A quick search shows up a 'scsiadd' script which basically calls on
> > what Tet first described
> >
> ># echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi
> >
> >which didn't work for me.
>
> When you say it didn't work, didit do anything? Did the new device show
> up if you "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" afterwards?

I got the same error when I tried to mount the drive.

Then I let the side down a bit.  I didn't 'cat' the /proc/scsi/scsi file, I
went to look at it with a file browser (yeah, I know... ) only to find a
zero bytes file (yeah, I know *NOW*....  that's exactly what it should
be......)

> >I think I was calling the right device, I use 'dev=0,0,0' in cdrecord
> > for instance.

> Sounds reasonable. Does "cdrecord -scanbus" see the device?

I was about to give up, but I did try 'cdrecord -scanbus', which didn't
return anything, not even an error, so I then gave up.

I think I might recreate the situation again and start over, see where I
went wrong.  When I have time.

I must find out more about the /proc filesystem too.  I don't understand
how you can pipe something to a file that doesn't seem to be quite there,
not even as a symlink to something I might understand.

Is it fair to think of piping stuff like this to /proc as being similar to
POKEing infinite lives into a Spectrum game?

If so, are there any fun - or time wasting - things that could be piped to
the /proc system?

--
Colin Murphy
SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk

A man for all seasons, 'specially pepper.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk