[Gllug] [CHINWAG] /proc

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Thu May 23 11:40:43 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 12:26, Colin Murphy wrote:

> I must find out more about the /proc filesystem too.  I don't understand
> how you can pipe something to a file that doesn't seem to be quite there,
> not even as a symlink to something I might understand.
>
> Is it fair to think of piping stuff like this to /proc as being similar to
> POKEing infinite lives into a Spectrum game?
>
> If so, are there any fun - or time wasting - things that could be piped to
> the /proc system?

Colin, I think you have come up with a perfect subject for the
'tutorial/learning' type thing I proposed about a month back.

I have set the [CHINWAG] subject so people can FILTER IT OUT if
they want to.

So let's have a round table discussion on:

(a) /proc - what the heck is it?

(b) what is it used for - is it any USE for anything?

(c) are there any fun - or time wasting - things which could be
piped to the /proc system?

Rules  - let's all take the talking stick one after the other.
Make a well thought-out post.

Remember - the whole point of this thing is that whilst you (obviously)
know all about items (a) (b) and (c), and in fact it was you who tipped
Torvalds the wink on this, the intended audience knows nothing.

Even if you don know something, tune in anyway. You may learn something,
and please chip in when your area of expertise comes up (*)

If you have a link which you think is just the bees knees for this
topic, the please tell us.
(Just don't do a Google and hit us with a list of links.)

John H

(*) I have an interesting application (done by someone else) for (b)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk