[Gllug] Compiling a Kernel

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Mon May 27 13:57:17 UTC 2002

Jackson, Harry(HJackson at colt-telecom.com)@Mon, May 27, 2002 at 02:21:27PM +0100:

> When and why do I use depmod. I understand that my kernel compile should go
> something like the following
>
> Current Directory /usr/src/
>
> tar -vxf kernel-2.4.18.tar
> cd new_dir
> make mrproper
> cp /boot/config-2.4.16 /new_dir/.config
>
> make oldconfig
> make dep
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install (mods installed in /lib/modules/2.4.18/)

looks good.

> This is where i get hazy (do i "depmod -a" here and what options do I use to
> depmod)

'depmod -a' on my MDK system happens automagically as part of system
startup.  for me it happens in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

i can only guess that on debian it does something similar, you could try
grep'ing thru the initscripts to see if you can find it.  word of
warning, for me the actual scripts are in /etc/rc.d/init.d, but the
initial startup ones are in /etc/rc.d/

hope that gives you something more to work on.
-v

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 Giving everyone an equal opportunity, when they're clearly not equal,
 is called what children?
 Communism!
 -- Edna Krabappel

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk