[Gllug] Perl / PHP

Ms. Lene Jensen ljensen at redhat.com
Thu May 9 16:40:58 UTC 2002

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> As for simple performance, the free PHP system isn't that well optimised.
> They want you to buy the commercial, accelerated engine.

Well, in tests I have been doing here, I have got a script run with
mod_php to run 10 times faster than the same script run without.
Rewriting the scripts to PHP an running them, speeds up that process
another 4 times, so in my book PHP is faster.

Another thing I hate with Perl, is the ease you can write really bad
scripts.  The fact that you don't have to declare variables (yeah, yeah,
I know about use strict), makes my skin crawl.  Also reminds of the
(urban?) legend of the rocket ship that was lost because of variables
and fortran...

LJ
--
10 Alan Turing Road | Tel: +441483734926 | Want Linux training or
Guildford           | Fax: +441483734956 | certification?  Go to

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk