[Gllug] Setup ADSL to home network

TM tm at tm.uklinux.net
Thu May 30 15:07:13 UTC 2002

Hi,

I've recently joined the discussion group and this is my 1st
posting to this list. I was about to ask if anyone could help
me with some advice regarding connecting a home network to
the outside world via ADSL when I received the last list digest
(Gllug digest, Vol 1 #1884 - 14 msgs), where Murray sort of touches
the subject.

 From what I read, maybe someone could tell me how to get hold of
the old (archived?) messages so that I too can benefit from your
expertise please.

Otherwise, I'd appreciate any suggestions/hints/directions on
what you think is a good (best?) way to set up an ADSL line to
a small home network (usually 3 PCs) in a secure way running
Linux (OpenBSD?). I'm comtemplating using an old PC as a firewall
and buying Alcatel's 'Speed Touch USB Self Install Pack' (as far as
I know the only one ADSL modem with drivers for Linux) to 'feed'
into it. Is this a cost effective way of doing it?

I'm a Linux novice and certainly not a network expert, and even though
my curiosity to explore Linux doesn't prevent me from trying to do
something so big (from where I'm standing), it's not enough to stop
me from worrying about security. Therefore any help is very much
welcomed.

Thanks,

TM

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk