[Gllug] Fireing up an external SCSI device once the system has started.

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Thu May 23 09:04:59 UTC 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Colin Murphy wrote:

> On Wednesday 22 May 2002 4:09 pm, Stephen Harker wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 12:12, Colin Murphy wrote:
>

> > > How do I get the external drive recognised without the reset?
> > >

> > I do that as well.
>
> So it's not just me, good.
>
> > What I do is remove the scsi card module (53c7,8xx in my case) and
> > reload it again. This is only going to work if the cdrom is the only
> > scsi device on that card (ie all your other disks are IDE) or you only
> > have a scanner or zip drive on there as well (unmounted)
> > so # rmmod 53c7,8xx
> >    # modprobe 53c7,8xx
>

> Removing the module sounds like a really obvious thing to do, err, now that
> you mention it.
>
> Why would this only work for the one drive though?  How is the process of
> manually loading (or is 'starting' a better way of thinking about it?) the
> module different from that of the system start up?

I read that as meaning that if your root drive is on the same SCSI
controller, removing the module isn't the safest thing to do...

I have a USB CompactFlash reader on a machine which masquerades as a SCSI
controller.  I don't load the modules at boot-time, so I demand-load them
the first time I use the reader after boot, and I would expect that I could
happily unload the modules after I've finished using the reader.

Anyway, I thought one of the points of SCSI was that it could do hotplug
properly (not that I've not successfully hot-unplugged an IDE drive from a
running system...).  Am I wrong?

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk