[Gllug] Fireing up an external SCSI device once the system has started.

Colin Murphy SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu May 23 08:54:00 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 22 May 2002 4:09 pm, Stephen Harker wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 12:12, Colin Murphy wrote:

> > How do I get the external drive recognised without the reset?
> >

> I do that as well.

So it's not just me, good.

> What I do is remove the scsi card module (53c7,8xx in my case) and
> reload it again. This is only going to work if the cdrom is the only
> scsi device on that card (ie all your other disks are IDE) or you only
> have a scanner or zip drive on there as well (unmounted)
> so # rmmod 53c7,8xx
>    # modprobe 53c7,8xx

Removing the module sounds like a really obvious thing to do, err, now that
you mention it.

Why would this only work for the one drive though?  How is the process of
manually loading (or is 'starting' a better way of thinking about it?) the
module different from that of the system start up?

--
Colin Murphy
SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk

A man for all seasons, 'specially pepper.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk