[Gllug] Screen I just have to share

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Thu May 16 11:59:09 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 12:39, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> Mark Lowes(hamster at korenwolf.net)@Thu, May 16, 2002 at 12:03:53PM +0100:
> > Let's see, had a 64k LL for 3+ years, never went down for any reason
> > other than me breaking it myself in some manner (reconfiguring routers,
> > rebooting head end kit etc etc).
[...]
> its the old addage of 'you get what you pay for'.  as long as you can
> offset the 'cost' of downtime against the savings over a LL then its not
> really a problem.

It means I actually get marginally more work done of the type which I
dont like than normal, ie the documentation and training stuff.

> something tells me, that it'd be in the interest of large providers to
> offer an inferior service on *dsl.  to help protect their more lucrative
> and expensive services.  so no change there then, history is once again
> repeating itself.

Well I know we're at the mercy of BT for the quality of the service
between the NTE and the HGR it's almost always that which fails (card
resets at the exchange are the normal fix).  Our advice to customers is
to consider the effects of downtime and the possible time to fix (48
hours+ is possible) and the contention within BT.

> looking forward tho, i'd expect the QoS of *dsl to improve.  once a
> technology reaches the mass market enough people will come to accept it
> as a guaranteed service.  one thats always available.  think about how
> no one these days expects to have an unreliable telephone.  but 10 years
> ago calling international was hit and miss sometimes.
> expectations change, and with that so will the service offered.  i just
> wish it was sooner rather than later.

At which point the costs will rise or there will be charges for usage of
the adsl service, while bandwidth costs have come down they still are a
significant portion of the ISP running costs and they need to be covered
and from the ISP point of view ADSL is an expensive service with a low
cost to the consumer.  As many ISPs and carriers are proving you can't
provide the service at less than it costs to provision without joining
the queue for ch11 protection.

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>
http://www.korenwolf.net/