[Gllug] linux routers, X.21 and leased lines

Jim Bailey jim at lateral.net
Wed May 15 05:48:53 UTC 2002

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 10:17:17AM +0200, John Hearns wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 08:05, Jim Bailey wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A couple of years ago I helped set up one end of a 2mb dedicated link
> > between the company I then worked for and one of their clients the kit
> > we used was a cisco 2600 router.
> >
> Here's me. Babbling about something I don't know about as usual.
>

> > Am I right in thinking a similar set up can be done using Linux as
> > a router and standard PC hardware or is there some special kit in Cisco
> > routers.
> Well, first thing I would say is that there are other router vendors
> than Cisco!
> Networks Telecom is a good place to look for kit,
> http://www.networks-telecom.com/
> You should take a trip there - but it is in June.
>

> I would say that the job would be possible using a Linux box and
> maybe Zebra if you need complicated routing
>  - but a dedicated router may be simpler and easier to run with.
> (Heresy! Burn the unbeliever...)

The routing from what I understand of routing is very straight forward.

> Also, in telecomms speak you need to ask about the 'presentation'
> of this leased line - ie. what plugs is on the end of it, and how you
> interface to it.

The office end will terminate in a X.21 RS232 15 pin connector which
should be no problem.  The hassle starts at the other end which
terminates in a balun with a BNC and a RJ45 connector.  However this is
60 meters away from the cages where the kit is stored.  From what I have
been reading I think that it will ok to run coax or cat5e to the
gateway though I have to do more research to be absolutely sure, about
three years by my reckoning.

Would it be correct to call the gateway a bastion host?

> Start looking maybe at Sangoma for suitable WAN cards?
> http://www.sangoma.com

Thanks John I remember from last year a good article in Linux Journal
about their S series cards and Wan Pipe and it is available on line.
There is also that comapny that does the cool serial port cards
something unpronounceable beginning with C Clyaddthingwhatmagig but some
one else here is looking at them.

One thing I am still not sure about is can these WAN cards handle raw
G.703 since this is what comming out at the balun or is that too dumb a
question to ask?

> Also, these days, rather than dedicated leased lines,
> how about thinking about running VPNs between company and clients?
> That's the more 'modern' way of thinking.
> More complicated to set up, and more potential for things going wrong.
> (I have had a bit of experience here).

The leased line I think is to do with the security policy here but
before any one jumps on me I don't know for sure I am very new here very
junior and start work about 2 hours after everyone has left and leave
about 2 hours before anyone else gets here.  Communications here is
appalling Outlook and Yahoo IM. ;-P  We in the ops team are organising a
civil rights campaign to have our NT2000 desktop replaced with nice
Linux ones.  there is some support for our position amongst the ruling
elite but like all elites they move slowly with reforms. ;-)

Anyway normal office connectivity is by 2mb ADSL, the E1 however runs
into the gateway which is not public facing.  All the public facing stuff
is multi homed with both public and private IP address no admin access
on the public side all admin is done via the gateway and ssh.

Sorry to some if this has gone some what off topic but it has really
helped me going through what you said John and understand some of the
issues around the routing problem, thanks again John.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk