[Gllug] linux routers, X.21 and leased lines

Andy McGarty andy at mcGarty.net
Wed May 15 15:47:30 UTC 2002

SNIP
> The office end will terminate in a X.21 RS232 15 pin connector which
> should be no problem.  The hassle starts at the other end which
> terminates in a balun with a BNC and a RJ45 connector.  However this is
> 60 meters away from the cages where the kit is stored.  From what I have
> been reading I think that it will ok to run coax or cat5e to the
> gateway though I have to do more research to be absolutely sure, about
> three years by my reckoning.
>
> Would it be correct to call the gateway a bastion host?
>
> > Start looking maybe at Sangoma for suitable WAN cards?
> > http://www.sangoma.com
> >
> Thanks John I remember from last year a good article in Linux Journal
> about their S series cards and Wan Pipe and it is available on line.
> There is also that comapny that does the cool serial port cards
> something unpronounceable beginning with C Clyaddthingwhatmagig but some
> one else here is looking at them.
>
> One thing I am still not sure about is can these WAN cards handle raw
> G.703 since this is what comming out at the balun or is that too dumb a
> question to ask?

If you can't get a G.703 card then just get a G.703 to X.21 convertor form
someone like Blackbox.  It might make it easier for you then just doing X.21
to X.21 (you don't have to worry about timeslots!).  Oh, and use the
convertor at the server end as Coax/Cat5 is much cheaper than running a long
X.21 cable!!

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk