[Gllug] OT: CAT ScTP cable.

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed May 1 14:44:02 UTC 2002

 Hello,

 On sunday I went to Barking where I met Daniel Andersson,
 nice friendly bloke from Sweden.
 And he kindly provided me with quite a few meters of cable.

 I am a bit concerned about the type, ScTP, below is the complete
 information written on the wire itself.

 BLACK BOX CORPORATION GUARANTEED FOR LIFE

 (724) 746 -5500 YM44230 ScTP CMR 4PR24 VERIFIED (UL) CATEGORY 5

 E108998-M OR C(UL) CMR 1408 2708 S52 0565468 FEET

 It is quite rigid and it has a metalish lining.

 I was planning to run it straight between the 8 port hub and
 the nics, to avoid drilling the walls, and to save money.

 Now I "only" need to attach the RJ45 connectors and test them.
 And probably find a God to pray to.

 Is there anything I should know about?

 P.D.: John, do you know what's the reason why stranded and solid cables
 don't work together?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk