[Gllug] Console Tools (was Re: Can't get my CNet PRO200WL netcard to work in Gentoo)

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Mon May 27 19:46:52 UTC 2002

On Mon, 27 May 2002, tet at accucard.com mused:

>>On linux these are all part of the GNU textutils package.  Unfortunately,
>>the decent documentation for them is in Info format, which makes most
>>people foam at the mouth, reach for crucifixes and threaten violence.
>
> Indeed. Nice idea, but one of the most hideous implementations of a
> user interface I've ever come across. Fortunately, gnome-help-browser

This has not been true for a long time.

Get texinfo-4.2; the keys are even bindable now, and it learnt about
cursor keys long in the past.

> provides a semi usable interface to info pages, which is at least a
> start, although it doesn't help when you're remotely logged in using
> a text only interface...

pinfo is, as others have said, nice: so is tkman (IMHO).

> Unfortunately, with the version supplied with RH7.3, they've removed
> the link from the starting page, and you need to know that you can type
> "info:gcc" into the location bar, for example. Gone is the handily
> browsable list of info topics.

info:dir may be of use.

> The Gnome project may have started with some good ideals, but I'm
> rapidly going off their increasingly rabid "the whole world should
> be Gnome" stance.

It's more the `the whole world should talk through k00l APIs' without
considering that *pipes* are an API, and that it'd be nice to have a
scripting tool as well as compilable languages with proper bindings.

(gnome-guile's a start, but its bindings are laughably incomplete,
although a heroic effort for one person --- or, rather, a heroinic
effort.)

--
`Well, if you think about it, Andrew is a strategic part of the Internet.'
                                      --- Kieran on Andrew Gierth

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk