[Gllug] Too much work, lazy computer!

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed May 1 11:13:46 UTC 2002

>And I had a similar problem: ripping CDs caused my serial port to
>all but stop.  I don't think this problem should occur with ethernet
>though.

The problem I had was that ripping CDs caused X to hang for 10-15
seconds or so, and various other issues like dropped network packets
etc. As soon as I switched to ripping on my CD writer instead of the
DVD-ROM or CD-ROM, all my problems went away. I'm also now ripping
faster, despite the fact that the CD writer is theoretically a slower
drive than either of the other two.

I don't believe it to be coincidence that the CD writer is SCSI,
while the other two are IDE. Yet another data point in my quest
to prove that my SCSI bigotry is justifiied :-)

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk