[Gllug] CVS and SSh

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Wed May 1 10:06:13 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 01 May 2002 10:15 am, Simon Stewart wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 07:37:54PM +0100, Sean Burlington wrote:
>
> <snip "Problem accessing CVS pserver using via SSH2" />
>
> > hmm ...
> >
> > if you are running a ssh server you don't need to use the pserver
> > component of cvs
> >
> > just export these environment variables on the client machine
> > CVS_RSH=ssh
> > CVSROOT=:ext:your.server.com:/path/to/your/cvsroot
> >
> > then running cvs commands on the client will initiate an ssh connection -
> > running cvs on the remote machine
>
> Ahh.. an excellent scheme, flawed only by the fact that it doesn't
> work :) Doing a "pstree" indicates that sshd is indeed running the cvs
> command,

eh !

cvs should invoke the ssh client

no reason for the ssh daemon to try and run cvs !!!

> and attaching an strace to this instance of CVS shows that
> (again) it's waiting for a read on FD 0 to complete. On the client
> machine, cvs has started ssh, and this is also waiting for a read to
> complete. So it looks like ssh is the problem here?
>
> I've got hold of the "hang on exit" patch for OpenSSH and applied
> that, but that doesn't seem to help at all.

hmmm....

have you tried the three parts of this seperately

can you ssh to the remote machine ?
(and maybe test sftp and scp between the two machines)

while connected over ssh can you run cvs commands ?

if you set up a test repository on your client machine can you run cvs purely
locally ?

- --

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk