[Gllug] multiple mic-in [VERY OT]

Dylan Brewis dylan at exoletus.fsnet.co.uk
Sun May 12 02:19:22 UTC 2002

On Saturday 11 May 2002 23:52, Richard Cottrill wrote:
> Possibly a really silly question:
> Is it possible to use more than one sound card in a machine? I've never
> tried; in fact I've never gotten sound to work under Linux at all (but I
> haven't really had many opportunities to try either).

Should think so, wouldn't u end up with /dev/snd0 /dev/snd1 ...?
I had 2 running under Windoze once (ONCE, mind u!)

> It may also be relevant that some cards (older only?) have/had separate
> line-in and microphone ports. From my spectacularly limited understanding of
> sound equipment, the difference is a pre-amp or something. Whatever the
> difference is I'm pretty sure I've gotten them mixed up and lived to tell
> the tale.

Well, microphones and record players output at milivolt levels, and line
level is a couple of orders of magnitude above that. There are deeply
technical signal differences as well, but they're probably not too relevant
for sound cards (given the presence of fans and transformers) - anyone who
was concerned about that stuff would have an external preprocessor.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk