[Gllug] Can't get my CNet PRO200WL netcard to work in Gentoo

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed May 22 19:03:07 UTC 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 12:59:55PM +0200, Mats wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm fresh out from Windows, trying to learn Linux, and have just
> finished installing the first part of Gentoo. That is the kernel and
> essential modules, but not X or any programs.

In at the deep end, there.  I really can't see you getting any benefit
from Gentoo.  It's a bleeding-edge, cook-you-own distro for people who
know exactly what they want from Linux and how to build it.

As has been pointed out, you're using the wrong module.  I really think
you'd be better off installing a more mainstream and standard
distribution.  You'll find more documentation and a much larger user
community, more tolerant of newbies.

> Right now I dont know wery much about anything so please excuse me if I
> dont provide the information you need to help me. Tell me what you need
> and where I can find it, and I will supply the information ASAP.

/var/log/dmesg contains information recorded while your machine was
starting up.  Beyond a certain stage the auditing information moves to
/var/log/messages and other log files.

> When booting i got a red flag from the card saying "Failed to load 3c59x
> [!!]", (again I think it was the CNet, but I'm not sure) but I dont know
> what's wrong... When running /sbin/ifconfig -a I get no report from eth0
> at all, though I get a bunch of other information.

What does ifconfig -a tell you?

I can recommend the latest Linux Magazine, which has a useful article on
configuring network interfaces on Linux.  But it does assume a tad more
general Linux knowledge than you have.

--
Bruce

The ice-caps are melting, tra-la-la-la.  All the world is drowning,
tra-la-la-la-la.  -- Tiny Tim.