[Gllug] Perl / PHP

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu May 9 16:35:35 UTC 2002

On 09/05/02, 17:15:55, tet at accucard.com wrote regarding Re: [Gllug] Perl
/ PHP :

> >Much nicer language than the abortive PHP too.

> Just to put in another point of view, I disagree 100% with the above :-)
> PHP is a *much* nicer language than Perl.

Depends what you mean by nice.  If you mean clean syntax, then yes.
OTOH, PHP's OO model is seriously lacking, parts of the language just
aren't finished and much of it is poorly documented (it is important to
specify what doesn't work as what does, in a language).  Another minus is
that the user community has a very low average level of cluefulness,
since PHP is a popular language amongst those with no coding experience
or training.

> The only advantage Perl has
> is a unified DB access layer.

It's hardly the only advantage, I listed several more myself.  The price
is greater complexity and difficulty.

> But on the downside, it's a write-only
> language...

???