[Gllug] irc client recommendation

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Thu May 30 12:40:34 UTC 2002

(I've wrapped your mail lines - you may want to do something about that...)

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Murray wrote:

> Would anyone care to recommend me an irc client for linux? Not trying to
> induce a flaming, just never really used irc much, but feeling now is
> about time to correct that fact.
>
> I'm more interested in small, safe, simple, easy to use than graphically
> whizzy, with lots of add-ons and that has 127 library dependencies to
> compile ;-)

I often use a tiny IRC client called sirc.

It's small, simple and written in perl.
http://www.iagora.com/~espel/sirc/sirc.html

I've also been known to use xchat... :-)

> I'm running KDE2 if it makes any difference, although I'm strangely drawn
> towards the text/console variety.  On a different and slightly off topic
> note - I got myself adsl enabled last night. Asus ethernet modem/firewall
> from solwise, isp from eclipse.net.uk, 2 network cards (internal/external)
> and more cat5 than I care to think about, with a p2 266 linux box acting
> as a second (inner) nat/firewall/gateway to the rest of the home network.
> You could say <manure>pig</manure>.
>
> Basically, I just wanted to say thanks to the gllug collective - getting
> this all setup was, for me, a bit of a learning curve, and quietly reading
> gllug over the last few months has given me numerous pointers, hints, tips
> and advice.  And the odd laugh. So ta very much.

It's what we're here for.  Glad it's helped you.

> Now, back to being bitter about bt....

That's what we're here for too :-)

Cheers
Richard