[Gllug] irc client recommendation

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu May 30 14:43:28 UTC 2002

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 01:18:14PM +0100, Murray wrote:
> Would anyone care to recommend me an irc client for linux? Not trying
> to induce a flaming, just never really used irc much, but feeling now
> is about time to correct that fact.

I use Epic, which is one of the several ircII derivatives.  But you
don't need all of that functionality when you start with irc.  tirc,
sirc and tinyirc all give you the same basic featureset, all
implementing the standard irc commands.

> I'm running KDE2 if it makes any difference, although I'm strangely
> drawn towards the text/console variety.

Text!  Text is the way to communicate.

> On a different and slightly off topic note - I got myself adsl enabled
> last night. Asus ethernet modem/firewall from solwise, isp from
> eclipse.net.uk, 2 network cards (internal/external) and more cat5 than
> I care to think about, with a p2 266 linux box acting as a second
> (inner) nat/firewall/gateway to the rest of the home network.  You
> could say <manure>pig</manure>.
>
> Basically, I just wanted to say thanks to the gllug collective -
> getting this all setup was, for me, a bit of a learning curve, and
> quietly reading gllug over the last few months has given me numerous
> pointers, hints, tips and advice.  And the odd laugh. So ta very much.

Would the "OH, Gllug is crap and not the same" contributors kindly take
note?

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk