[Gllug] Can't get my CNet PRO200WL netcard to work in Gentoo

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Sun May 26 16:28:04 UTC 2002

On Sunday 26 May 2002 4:12 pm, Mats Hulten wrote:
> > wierd ISP - who is it ??!!
>
> Telia in Sweden. The govermental phone service gone private... They are
> not excactly assosiated with effectivness... :)
>
> > do you actually have to log on to a web page each time you dial up !!!
>
> Telia requires that you log in every time you want to access the net
[SNIP]

I suppose the realvent page is some sort of service agreement / disclaimer
thing !

> My mistake was that i destroyed the Win2K bootloader when installing
> GRUB, thus was unable to access the net via W2K...

you should be able to load win2K from grub

something like
rootnoverfiy (hd0,0)
makective
chaainloader +1
boot

(see grub manual for details)

you can then either reinstall the windows bootloader

or set the grub menu to give windows as an option

> > I would really recommend either
> >
> > try another distro - one of the beauties of linux is that the
> > installation is
> > so much easier and faster than commercial systems - you can
[SNIP]
> Hell no! I'm certainly not ready to give up on Gentoo yet!!! :)

fair enough :)

> > OR
> >
> > get hold of a cheap second machine (v low spec) and play with
[SNIP]

> Well, I bought this high end (at least for another 3 months... :)
> machine to toy around with... So, what the heck! :)

as long as you are still having fun
and the fast machine will make Gentoo compile time much more acceptable

but you probably end up for periods without a working machine

> > can you do connection sharing with win2000 ??
>
> Don't know... Can I? :)

I have heard rumours of this from people sharing ADSL connections

I think you right click on your connection icon and choose share internet
connection in much the same way as you share a folder

of course you need a second machine and network hardware to make use of this.

- --

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk