[Gllug] [OT] software packaging

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Wed May 29 22:37:16 UTC 2002

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Stig Brautaset stated:
> Hi James,
>
> * James Hollingshead <james at hollo.org> spake thus:
>> and a bootstrap command of:
>>   aclocal && autoheader && automake --foreign --add-missing && autoconf

One extra point: I recommend you use the latest autoconf/automake,
because they're much more coherent and much more like a proper language
than earlier versions. (Right now that's autoconf-2.53, automake-1.6.1,
libtool-1.4d.)

Also, use `autoconf --warnings=all': many of the warnings are actually
damn useful.

> Thanks again, I'll try to read up on this thing a bit, so I actually
> know what it *does* after my last exam for the year on Thursday... :)

Read the autobook too (New Riders, and <http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/>:
it's very good IMHO.

--
`What happened?'