[Gllug] gtk+ or Qt? (or others?)

Dave Jones davej at suse.de
Sat May 11 17:05:09 UTC 2002

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 04:52:48PM +0100, Stig Brautaset wrote:
 > Should I go directly for gtk2? I see many program descriptions include
 > porting to gtk2 from gtk1.2, so I imagine gtk1.2 are being phased out..

I doubt we'll see gtk1.2 apps suddenly disappear when gtk2 arrives, or
get converted en masse. In fact, I expect to see quite a few apps continue
to use gtk1.2, and possibly even many new apps using it. At least until
"Writing gtk2 apps" gets published 8-)

I've not looked at gtk2 at all yet, so I'm not sure what the plans are
for backwards compatability. Ie, will both gtk1.2 and gtk2 need to be
installed, or will gtk2 offer limited functionality for those apps.
I suspect the former if some of the Gnome libs are anything to go by.
(Don't even get me started on libxml and backwards compatability)

    Dave.

--

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk