[Gllug] Reiserfs gotchas?

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu May 9 10:55:44 UTC 2002

On Thu 09 May, Stephen Harker made the following spurious claims:

> You will have to make an initrd RamDisk image for the kernel to get the
> reiserfs module from as its too big to build into the kernel statically

Why is it too big?  I've compiled it in statically right now and it
seems to have worked fine.  I compiled it statically since I plan to
use it on my root fs so it didn't make any real difference if it was a
module as it would never be unloaded.

> (which kernel by the way 2.2 or 2.4)

2.4.18

> Try ext3 as well.

What are the relative merits?  ext3 is marked "EXPERIMENTAL" in my
kernel config, while reiserfs is not.  Since my main aim is stability,
I think I'll stick with the one the kernel says isn't experimental.

Thanks for the tips.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Trickle-down theory--the less than elegant metaphor that if
one feeds the horse enough oats, some will pass through to
the road for the sparrows.

- J. K. Galbraith