[Gllug] Reiserfs gotchas?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu May 9 10:52:49 UTC 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 11:22:20AM +0100, Stephen Harker wrote:

> You will have to make an initrd RamDisk image for the kernel to get the
> reiserfs module from as its too big to build into the kernel statically

I have compiled reiser statically into the kernel. I suppose it might
depend on what other junk you have in there ...

> Lilo doesn't care what the filesystem is, it just goes to the
> appropriate sector on the HD. The problem you will have is that the
> kernel without access to its modules, will not be able to mount the root
> partition if it is reiserfs.

AFIK: reiser is a little more creative on block usage than other file system.
Lilo could not cope with this, I don't know if recent ones can.
I would leave /boot as ext2, it will only be 20 Mb odd and so any fsck won't
take long anyway.

Although I have had no problems with reiser (& I do use it), I am told that when
reiser fails it can do so big time -- and the recovery tools aren't too nice.
I don't know if that is a 'it screwed me 2 years ago' type story, or if there
are still gremlins around.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>