[Gllug] AAARRRGH! Another network problem

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Thu May 30 17:51:04 UTC 2002

On Thursday 30 May 2002 6:07 pm, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> Well, I've got my new switch - a TE100-S55E - and a couple of machines - my
> 10BaseT laptop and 100BaseT Dreamcast - can connect to it with no problem,
> but the one (dual processor machine) I really want to use it (as it NFS
> mounts a load of things) is having a problem.
>
> When the PC is physically swiched on the switch correctly sees that it is a
> 100BaseT machine, but when Linux actually configures the interface - it
> dies.
>
> Now I had this problem with another NIC in this machine before, but I
> changed the NIC and it all went fine with my old 10BaseT hub based network.
>
> This time no errors appear to be logged, and the OS appears to successfuly
> have configured the card - a VIA VT 3043 for full duplex operation. Except
> that it hasn't!
>
> Anybody have a clue? Searches on google have revealed nothing, so far.
>
> Can I restrict this card to have duplex and see if that fixes it? If so,
> how do I do that?

Reading further I find that this card/driver (Via Rhine-II) has a mixed track
record, to say the least, but has anybody got any real world experience with
it? I have a rather cheesed off seven year old who wants to use the PC and
can't (in that it has no internet access!).

I suppose this is what happens when you buy cards off ebay for next to
nothing!

Adrian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk