[Gllug] AAARRRGH! Another network problem

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Thu May 30 17:07:59 UTC 2002

Well, I've got my new switch - a TE100-S55E - and a couple of machines - my
10BaseT laptop and 100BaseT Dreamcast - can connect to it with no problem,
but the one (dual processor machine) I really want to use it (as it NFS
mounts a load of things) is having a problem.

When the PC is physically swiched on the switch correctly sees that it is a
100BaseT machine, but when Linux actually configures the interface - it dies.

Now I had this problem with another NIC in this machine before, but I changed
the NIC and it all went fine with my old 10BaseT hub based network.

This time no errors appear to be logged, and the OS appears to successfuly
have configured the card - a VIA VT 3043 for full duplex operation. Except
that it hasn't!

Anybody have a clue? Searches on google have revealed nothing, so far.

Can I restrict this card to have duplex and see if that fixes it? If so, how
do I do that?

Thanks

Adrian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk