[Gllug] Perl / PHP

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Fri May 10 11:15:22 UTC 2002

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 10:32:09AM +0100, tet at accucard.com wrote:

> >Tet, take a look at the PEAR::DB classes. Obviously, we all the One
> >True Way of doing this is to use Java servlets :P
>
> Having first hand experience of the problems we've had with our
> corporate web site which uses servlets, I can categorically state
> that I'd put them well down the list (below both Perl and PHP)
> when choosing how to implement a new site. Obviously, YMMV, but
> for me, they're far more trouble than they're worth. Development
> time is significantly longer, run time performance is worse, and
> if I never see another "servlet error 500" message, I'll be a
> happy man...

Well, I did append a smiley to indicate a light hearted response, but
I'm now just going to have to pipe up. FWIW, my milage _does_ vary.

I had a couple of paragraphs containing my recent experiences with
Java (both good and bad) and if you're interested, I can tell you off
list. I also wrote a long defence of the language, but that was _too_
long, especially since it could be phrased as "you're missing the
point"

Perl and PHP both have their place in website design. Java also has a
place, but a different one. It's a case of horses for courses, and
although your critisms are valid they just don't matter in the cases
where Java is a "good fit". It's an exercise in futility to implement
a small website in Java, but as you pointed out, any sizable project
in Perl can very easily become painful. And if you've got to the point
where maintaining perl is going to be a nightmare, then you probably
have the resources to get Java to work acceptably.

Could go on, but I won't. Unless provoked ;)

Yes, that was a smiley.

Cheers,

Simon

--
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis
for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk