[Gllug] Gllug Changing

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed May 15 10:08:56 UTC 2002

Jackson, Harry wrote:

><FLAMEBAIT>
>I have just been looking at past emails on the list and something I did
>notice is that the threads in discussion at a point in time are fewer.
>Having looked down the dated list it looks much tidier. Having been on this
>list for over a year it has changed but I cannot put my finger on it. Is
>there less 1."social lubrication"? Does the list need to evolve, personally
>I think it does.
>
>Some Observations I have made.
>
>This list is more a community than a mailing list.
>Quite a few of us are friends in an interconnected fscked up way.
>Some of us hate the sight (metaphorically) of each other.
>Some of use would like to ask friends questions rather than subscribe to yet
>another mailing list.
>

>I know its a Linux User Group but the breadth of skills on this list is
>quite phenomenal. Questions on nearly every tech subject under the sun has
>been on this list and answered. We have had discussions about change before
>and the general consensus has been that the list stays as is which I agree,
>but I think the community around the list needs more. I know that there are
>separate lists off of Gllug where people talk about specific items amongst
>friends because the topics are not really for the list and this is becoming
>fragmented, would it not be better to capture all this knowledge. I am
>probably correct in saying that this is the biggest LUG in the UK and we
>should pioneer this sort of stuff for others.
></FLAMEBAIT>
>All of the above are my own observations and are probably some of the
>reasons I have not been as active on the list (yeeaaaah I hear you cry) but
>I was wondering if anyone else had other thought about the community around
>the list.

Funny - I was thinking about this sort f thing last night on the way
back from my first sagewise meeting.  (probably the beer!! :-)

I have been doing a lot of voluntary work over the last four months and
had limited net access and as a result there are over 1,000 gllug emails
that I did not get a chance to read or more importantly participate in :-(

The list has changed into less of a community and feels much more like
the exim list where people get abuse for discussing something that was
touched on 8 months ago.  Whereas tech industry does change quickly and
people in society (which this is) discuss the same things time and again
- great football game, didn't natalie look great in the trailer, is the
beer watered down here? etc. etc.  I think that members of the community
that is gllug should try to foster happy friendly helpful mails and
admonish firmly but friendly those that are not.  I have been guilty of
this myself; on both sides.

....and yes I really would like to get the opportunity to come to more
events (read some events).  This Sunday I am being dragged off to
Gloucester by the GF so I regret I cannot make the install fest either.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk