[Gllug] NTFS RW

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Thu May 16 12:46:14 UTC 2002

> > I thought there was some utility that you had to run every time you
> > wrote to a mounted NTFS partition from Linux because otherwise you'd
> > trash the NTFS partition. NTFS readonly work OK though.
>
>I vaguely recall something that Jeff Merkey (ex-Netware bloke) came
>up with, but iirc it was the equivalent of fsck.ntfs

Yep, MS changed the on-disk format of NTFS for Win2K, which had the
nice side effect of causing old NTFS drivers (which included not
only Linux, but also NT4) to corrupt the disk. Apparently, the Linux
NTFS driver also made some invalid assumptions, which caused breakage
with the Win2K NTFS implementation. Jeff's utility went through and
fixed the corrupted bits, IIRC.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk