[Gllug] Compiling a Kernel

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Thu May 30 13:13:10 UTC 2002

Update

I managed to get a new kernel compiled and X working last night. I think my
problem was the old config file. I moved to a very early config file I used
for a 2.2.n kernel and used it, answering the relevant new questions during
"make oldconfig". During the compile it failed a few times so I removed the
relevant entries in the config file that where causing the problem and
rerun. I then used make-kpkg to make the package and dpkg -install to shoe
horn it into operation after lilo and a reboot it worked a treat except for
my network interface which is no longer working.

X was the usual pigs ear of a mess. I used xf86congig and selected option
320 in the video driver list and it worked. My mouse is erratic in the
extreme (its works, it does not work. it works .....) but I am using gpm
which by all accounts today is not very reliable. My desktop is not really
that pretty either. I am going to have to change the mode lines to avoid the
larger than screen size area when viewing 800/600.

I also realised how many apps I am not using on the server, its spartan on
the GUI front. I also noticed that Gnome will not let me login on the start
up screen as root which is not a bad thing as I then have to go to shell for
any nonsense I need to perform and login from there. All in all it was an
interesting night.

Harry.

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. +44 20 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk