[Gllug] encryption problems

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Sun May 5 10:36:27 UTC 2002

On Sunday 05 May 2002 10:59 am, Mark Preston wrote:
> Hi All,
> Unfortunately I am having problems decrypting the reply to an email I sent
> after installing and trying out gpg encryption. I sent my gpg public key
> (file MarkPreston.asc) to Mike Bostock who has his pgp set up.
> He then used this to send me a reply.
> The reply turned up on Monday lunchtime on my Windows partition at work,
> which does not have any email encryption.
> I forwarded it to mark at markpreston.co.uk and picked up the forwarded
> message on Monday night on this (Redhat 7.2) computer. Unfortunately KMail
> doesn't decrypt this as I was hoping it would. So I have been trying to

kmail 1.32 (with kde 2.2.2) does support gpg - don't know about earlier
versions..

it also sorts out any line wrapping or encoding that has happened as part of
the mailing process

> decrypt it from the command line using gpg.
> This has also been unsuccessful so far. I  have the message saved in a file
> named em1 in my home directory.
> This is how it appears:-

the above line has wrapped - gpg expects it to be on one line - so barfs

[SNIP]
> When I run
> mark]$ gpg  -v --decrypt em1
>
> I get the following message
> "Warning using insecure memory"

this is a normal warning - if you have swap space there is a chance of you
gpgp data being read from disc after a system crash (if this is your home
system you acn probably safely ignore this warning)

> Armor header Version: PGPsdk version 1.7.1 (C) 1997-1999 Network
> Associates, Inc. and its
> gpg: invalid armor header: affiliated companies.

this is because the header line has been wrapped try putting it back on one
line - and run gpg again

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk