[Gllug] dhcp, dropping ip?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon May 27 11:47:20 UTC 2002

On 27/05/02, 09:06:58, Sean Burlington <sean at uncertainty.org.uk> wrote
regarding Re: [Gllug] dhcp, dropping ip?:

> I had problems with pump a while back - ended up using dhcpcd instead
which I
> have been much happier with

> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/DHCP/x74.html

> IIRC what happened with pump was that everything worked at first - but
when
> the lease expired - so did my connection!

> I could get it back again by restarting the connection - but this is
annoying
> to say the least

> do you have a cron job prodding pump to do its job every now and again ?

That is not necessary.  Pump has a smaller feature set than the dhcpd
client but it works perfectly well.  What you need to be sure is that you
have configured the network interface in the standard way for your
distribution (/etc/network/interfaces for Debian, use Linuxconf or netcfg
for Red Hat). If you do that and configure the interface as dhcp, then
most distributions will look for the dhcpcd client and, failing that,
pump and use it to configure the interface whenever it is brought up.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk