[Gllug] Filesystems again :)

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Thu May 16 20:07:44 UTC 2002

On Thu, 16 May 2002, rich at annexia.org uttered the following:
> On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 10:37:26AM +0100, pauln at truemesh.com wrote:
>> More pondering on how to do high availability storage :)
>>
>> Has anyone played with InterMezzo/InterSync
>>
>> http://inter-mezzo.org/
>>
>> I'd be gratefull for any experiences.
>
> Sounds a bit like what CODA (nee AFS) has been trying to do for the past
> many years ...
>
> http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/

It is Coda without the NIH syndrome.

--- i.e., it uses local filesystems for the cache (in *readable* form,
unlike Coda); it uses ext3 for the journal-like and version vector
storage (rather than a special-purpose cache, unlike Coda); it uses (in
the upcoming version) a compact special-purpose HTTP server/client pair
to do the data exchange (unlike RPC2); and it doesn't use a weird
lightweight threads library.

It's also *far* smaller and *far* faster, with drastically lower
resource requirements; and it doesn't have the rather arbitrary
distinction between clients and servers that Coda had (as in, the
distinction was there for a good reason, but, as intermezzo proves, you
can build something with basically identical functionality without
having such a distinction at all).

Nice.

--
`There are not words enough to describe how fucked up imake is.'
                                        --- Peter da Silva

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk