[Gllug] gtk+ or Qt? (or others?)

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sun May 12 14:06:04 UTC 2002

On Sat, 11 May 2002, Dave Jones stipulated:
>  > > If I was to do it again, I could of course say, "sod it, minimum
>  > > support version is libxml2 2.3.0", which is the easy way out.
>  > But then you'd have the users saying `but I need libxml-2.0.5 for my
>  > in-house womblecrutz project!' :(
>
> Ah yes, users. I forgot about those. Life would be so much simpler
> without them sometimes eh ? 8-)

Oh yes.

It'd also be simpler without design changes breaking the fundamental
assumptions behind your code, and without bugs, and without a lot of
other things that we have to put up with.

But without users, we'd also find fewer bugs. They make a good test
load. ;}

> On a completely unrelated note, can someone explain to me why the sudden
> increased popularity of slackware ? I've no end of bug reports recently
> from users of said distro, and 9 times out of 10, they've miscompiled
> some basic package, fscked things royally, and then blame me for
> shipping a tarball that doesn't compile.

Well, there's the point that on distros that ship binaries you'd not see
that at all, but that hardly explains why *more* Slackware users are
doing that.

Are there many Gentoo or Sourcery or similar build-from-source distro
users in that set?

> Case in point was luser who seemed to have every lib in system linked
> against pthreads[1],

Probably `because that means everything will be threaded, and threads
are k00l'; I wonder how many things that broke immediately due to the
changed guarantees on, for example, signals or fork(), when
multithreading. (IIRC, some of those guarantees apply as soon as you
*might* use threads, i.e. as soon as you link against -lpthread...)

>                      and had then deleted pthreads to 'fix something'.

Not `My system was working too well so I deleted pthreads to fix that'
perhaps? ;}

> Resulting applications/libs weren't too happy.

You don't say. ;)

> [1] I remembered this incident as said person had linked libxml to
>     pthreads for $deity knows what reason.

They probably hadn't heard about ldd or shared library dependencies and
thought that everything that's used by a threaded program must be linked
against -lpthread...

(no, this is *not* -malign-double or -pg... :( )

--
`There are not words enough to describe how fucked up imake is.'
                                        --- Peter da Silva

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk