[Gllug] Can't get my CNet PRO200WL netcard to work in Gentoo

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri May 24 19:18:36 UTC 2002

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 10:49:28AM +0200, Mats wrote:
> Thanks Bruce, I think I just may do that though maybe not for a month...
> :)
> Can you point me at som good programs that run at CLI?
> Mail client, preferely one capable of using POP

Pine is easier to get started with.  Mutt is more powerful and flexible
but more difficult to configure (for a start, you're hacking a text file
rather than Pine's interactive config menus).  Mutt also requires a
local mail transport agent to be configured, because it doesn't do SMTP.

> WWW - Got Lynx

Alternatives are Links and w3m (I like w3m).

> Configuration tools?

That depends on your distribution.  I suspect Gentoo relies heavily on
the old editing-text-config-files routine and that is certainly my
preference.  So what you need is a good text editor.  My preference is
for Vi or one of its more featureful clones (Vim, nvi) and it pays to
have a basic familiarity with Vi even if you don't like it, because
you'll find it on any *nix system.  A totally different beast is Emacs.
Joe is an editor that can behave like a number of other editors,
including Wordstar.

Pico, the editor that comes with Pine, is not only not free software but
extremely annoying and limited but Pine (like Mutt) can be configured to
work with any text editor.

> Other good software?

Endless variety for the console.  ICQ clients (mirc), IRC clients
(BitchX, Epic), news (slrn, Tin)....

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.