[Gllug] multiple mic-in [VERY OT]

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Mon May 13 08:06:54 UTC 2002

It is possible to run several soundcards at once and you end up with
/dev/dsp0 /dev/dsp1 etc. (althought, of course you can name them what you
like as long as you get the device numbers correct).  The problems arrise
when you have drivers that only support one card at a time or cards that
don't like each other.  I've definatly done it but can't remember which
cards I used except that they were not the same.

> > It may also be relevant that some cards (older only?) have/had separate
> > line-in and microphone ports. From my spectacularly limited
> > understanding of sound equipment, the difference is a pre-amp or
> > something.  Whatever the difference is I'm pretty sure I've gotten them
> > mixed up and lived to tell the tale.
>
> Well, microphones and record players output at milivolt levels, and line
> level is a couple of orders of magnitude above that. There are deeply
> technical signal differences as well, but they're probably not too
> relevant for sound cards (given the presence of fans and transformers) -
> anyone who was concerned about that stuff would have an external
> preprocessor.

JD

> > Richard

Behalf
> > > Of Dylan Brewis
> > > Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2002 2:28 AM
> > > To: gllug at linux.co.uk
> > > Subject: Re: [Gllug] multiple mic-in [VERY OT]
> > >

> > > What exactly u trying to do?
> > > do u need to discriminate the inputs?
> > > can u mix them before the computer interface?

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk