[Gllug] Reiserfs gotchas?

Thom May thom at positive-internet.com
Thu May 9 12:06:34 UTC 2002

* Daniel P. Berrange (dan at berrange.com) wrote :
> On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 11:52:49AM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> >
> > Although I have had no problems with reiser (& I do use it), I am told that when
> > reiser fails it can do so big time -- and the recovery tools aren't too nice.
> > I don't know if that is a 'it screwed me 2 years ago' type story, or if there
> > are still gremlins around.
>
> By comparison, with hardware failure on an old drive (bad sectors
> everywhere) ext2 fsck managed to completely recover the filesystem
> serveral times over, giving me the opportunity to backup most of my
> important data. Thus I'd go for ext3 for the most part.
>
> BTW, while we're talking journalling, does anyone have any
> experiance / comments about XFS or JFS ?

XFS is nice but it's not worth the pain of not being able to use a standard
kernel without mondo patching.
I'm pretty happy with Ext3 - the benefits have been discussed already but
certainly being able to boot to ext2 if necessary is good. Oh, and I'm so
not commenting on Mr Reiser. Or the advertising in all the reiser tools.
<shudder>
-Thom

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk