[Gllug] Networking: Would this work?

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Wed May 29 08:01:56 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-05-28 at 21:06, Murray wrote:
> I recently picked up one of these:
> http://www.redstore.com/techinfo/trenet001.php3
> And it will auto-detect on each of the five ports.
>
> But I *was* wondering what the limit to this would be.  It doesn't matter to
> me, as I only have a tiddly small network, but I assume at some point, you
> are going to notice your network speeds drop if you have too many hubs all
> daisychained together.  But I'm not sure quite where that limit would be?

No, speeds don't drop.
But dredging some things out of my memory, you have to watch the size of
collision domains.

I t'old days of thickwire and thinwire coaxial ethernet, there were
rules of thumb on how many bridges and repeater sections it was wise
to daisy-chain together. The "5-4-3" rule says:
five segments may be connected in series on a network,
up to four repeaters may be used, and three of the segments may be
'populated' - that is have PCs attached to them.

I have no idea of what the limits are in daisy-chaining full-duplex
switches.

If you are interested in this stuff, consult chapter 13,
"Multi-Segment Configuration Guidelines" in
Ethernet - the Definitive guide http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/enettdg/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk