[Gllug] Networking: Would this work?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue May 28 20:39:49 UTC 2002

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 08:06:38PM +0100, Murray wrote:
> But I *was* wondering what the limit to this would be.  It doesn't matter to
> me, as I only have a tiddly small network, but I assume at some point, you
> are going to notice your network speeds drop if you have too many hubs all
> daisychained together.  But I'm not sure quite where that limit would be?

It isn't the number of hubs, it's the amount of traffic on the segment
(and the number of hosts creating that traffic).  As that rises, so do
the number of collisions till a point is reached where devices spend
more time backing off and retransmitting than they do transmitting data.
This puts a practical upper limit on the capacity of an ethernet network
that is significantly below its theoretical maximum.

There's also a maximum length to an ethernet segment.  Maybe some wise
soul can give a url to some stats, I'm going from memory.

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill